Currently, there are more than thousands of bridges in the United States which have been subjected to extreme deterioration due to various mechanical and weather conditions, inadequate maintenance, and deficiencies in inspection and evaluation. Many bridges that collapsed recently strongly warned us of inadequate use of technologies for accurately assessing the condition of bridges. Hence the threat to safety of aging bridges has been recognized as a growing problem of national concern to the general public. The potential economic and social impacts of these deteriorating bridges to the general public are enormous. The objective of this project is to develop a novel framework of Human-Robot Assisted Bridge Inspection Team (H-RABIT)
- Development of multi-model Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) sensor fusion for fast and accurate detection of bridge structure defects
- Robotic inspection networked system with the integration of NDE sensor fusion for in-traffic bridge inspection
- Human-robot coordination for safe and efficient bridge inspection
- Development of experimental platforms and field deployments for the H-RABIT system.
1. Civil Infrastructure Inspection Robot
2. Steel Bridge Inspection Robots
- L. Nguyen , S. Gibb, H. X. Pham, and H. M. La. A Mobile Robot for Automated Civil Infrastructure Inspection and Evaluation. Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR), August 6-8, 2018, Philadelphia, PA, USA. Best Paper Finalist
- S. Gibb, H. M. La, T. Le, L. Nguyen, R. Schmid, H. Pham. Non-Destructive Evaluation Sensor Fusion with Autonomous Robotic System for Civil Infrastructure Inspection. Journal of Field Robotics, April 2018. (In press) Demonstration Video.
- H. M. La, T. Dinh, N. Pham, Q. Ha, and A. Pham. Automated robotic monitoring and inspection of steel structures and bridges. Robotica, Cambridge University Press, 1-21. 2018, doi:10.1017/S0263574717000601.
- S. Gibb, T. D. Le, H. M. La, R. Schmid, and T. Berendsen. A Multi-functional Inspection Robot for Civil Infrastructure Evaluation and Maintenance. In Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), September 24-28, 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
- T. D. Le, S. Gibb, N. H. Pham, H. M. La, L. Falk, and T. Berendsen. Autonomous Robotic System using Non-Destructive Evaluation methods for Bridge Deck Inspection. In Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 29-June 3, 2017, Singapore.
- H. M. La, N. Gucunski, K. Dana, and S. H. Kee. Development of an Autonomous Bridge Deck Inspection Robotic System. Journal of Field Robotics, Volume: 34, Issue: 8, Pages: 1489 – 1504, Dec. 2017.
- N. H. Pham and H. M. La. Design and Implementation of an Autonomous Robot for Steel Bridge Inspection. In Proceedings of the 54th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, pages 1-8, Sept. 27-30, 2016, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA.
- T. H. Dinh, Q. P. Ha and H. M. La, Computer vision-based method for concrete crack detection. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV), pages 1-7, November 13-15, 2016, Phuket, Thailand.
- S. Gibb, and H. M. La. Automated Rebar Detection for Ground-Penetrating Radar. The 12th International Symposium on Visual Computing, December 12-14, 2016 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. PDF
- N. H. Pham, H. M. La, Q. P. Ha, S. N. Dang, A. H. Vo and Q. H. Dinh, Visual and 3D Mapping for Steel Bridge Inspection Using a Climbing Robot, The 33nd International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC), pages 1-8, July 18-21, 2016, Auburn, Alabama, USA.N. Gucunski, S. H. Kee, H. M. La, B. Basily and A. Maher. Delamination and concrete quality assessment of concrete bridge decks using a fully autonomous RABIT platform. International Journal of Structural Monitoring and Maintenance, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 19-34, 2015.
- N. Gucunski, S. H. Kee, H. M. La , B. Basily, A. Maher and H. Ghasemi, Implementation of a Fully Autonomous Platform for Assessment of Concrete Bridge Decks RABIT, Structures Congress, pages 367-378, April 23-25, 2015, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- L. V. Nguyen and H. M. La, Development of a Smart Shoe for Building a Real-Time 3D Map, the 32st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC), pages 1-8, June 15-18, 2015, Oulu, Finland. (Ten Best Paper Short List )
- K. Dinh, N. Gucunski, J. Y. Kim, T. Duong, H. M. La, Attenuation-based Methodology for Condition Assessment of Concrete Bridge Decks using GPR, the 32stInternational Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining(ISARC), pages 1-8, June 15-18, 2015, Oulu, Finland.
- L. V. Nguyen, H. M. La, and T. H. Duong, Dynamic Human Gait Phase Detection Algorithm, the ISSAT International Conference on Modeling of Complex Systems and Environments (MCSE), pages, June 8-10, 2015, Da Nang, Vietnam.
- H. M. La, N. Gucunski, S. H. Kee, and L. V. Nguyen, Data analysis and visualization for the bridge deck inspection and evaluation robotic system. Springer Journal of Visualization in Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 6, February 2015.
- H. M. La, N. Gucunski, S. H. Kee, J. Yi, T. Senlet and L. V. Nguyen. Autonomous Robotic System for Bridge Deck Data Collection and Analysis. in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Sept. 14-18, 2014, Chicago, USA.
- P. Prasanna, K. J. Dana, N. Gucunski, B. B. Basily, H. M. La, R. S. Lim and H. Parvardeh, Automated crack detection on concrete bridges, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, October 2014. PDF
- H. M. La, N. Gucunski, S. H. Kee, and L. V. Nguyen, Visual and Acoustic Data Analysis for the Bridge Deck Inspection Robotic System. The 31st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC), July 9-11, 2014, Sydney, Australia.
- R. S. Lim, H. M. La and W. Sheng, A robotic crack inspection and mapping system for bridge deck maintenance, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, pp. 367-378, Vol. 11, No. 2, April 2014. PDF
- N. Gucunski, A. Maher, B. B. Basily, H. M. La, R. S. Lim, H. Parvardeh, and , S. H. Kee, “Robotic Platform RABIT for Condition Assessment of Concrete Bridge Decks Using Multiple NDE Technologies,” Journal of Croatian Society for Non Destructive Testing, No. 12, pp. 5-12, 2013. PDF
- H. M. La, R. S. Lim, B. B. Basily, N. Gucunski, J. Yi, A. Maher, F. A. Romero and H. Parvardeh, Mechatronic and control systems design for an autonomous robotic system for high-efficiency bridge deck inspection and evaluation, IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, pp. 1655-1664, Vol. 18, No. 6, December, 2013. PDF